The package set contains
- Miniature models of Green bean Plant Life cycle (PACKED IN A ZIPLOCK BAG )
- Green bean Plant Lifecycle: 4 part cards - Laminated with round edges (PACKED IN PLASTIC BAG)
a. control card (picture card with word labels)
b. pictorial cards ( picture card with no word labels)
c, word labels
d. information cards
3. Package of items 1. and 2.
The materials are suitable for a non-reading child.
Item 1.: Description
- Interesting and interactive material to ignite curiosity to learn about the lifecycle.
- Introduces the stages of the Green bean Plant lifecycle in a visual manner.
- Fun way to learn science and discover the wonders of nature.
- Child will be able to order the lifecycle stages starting from seed to plant and understand how a plant grows.
Item 2. : Description
- This is an extension from the Lifecycle of a Green bean Plant model. The model was for visual learning now the child has progressed on to abstract.
- Child manipulates with these cards to internalize the information provided on the cards for example the different stages of the Green bean Plant lifecycle.
- It enhances the child’s concentration and eye hand coordination, as the child has to match the correct picture and word label to the control.
- It is an excellent tool to train matching skills and enhance on the child’s reading skills.
- It cultivates the curiosity to find out more information about the stages of each part. For example, what happens when it is a seed?
How to use: Presentation 1: Lifecycle models
Note: Child does not need to be a reader for this activity.
- Remove the lifecycle models and arrange randomly on mat or table.
- Allow child to explore and share prior knowledge.
- Take the seed and ask child to observe.
- Inform child; the seed will first grow roots.
- Now take the next model and share. Repeat for the other 3 stages. Arrange the lifecycle models in a circular form as shown in the picture.
Presentation 2: Lifecycle cards (For children who are beginning readers)
- Review the lifecycle models.
- Remove the control card. Arrange on the top starting with seed, followed by the rest of the models, from left to right.
- Match the models to the control cards (picture and word) to show the connection of concrete to abstract.
- Remove the models.
- Match the picture cards to the control cards.
- Repeat with the word cards.
Review the lifecycle using the 3 Period Lesson. “This is the seed”, followed by the other stages. Now, “Show me the seed”, child to point at the corresponding picture card. Point at the seed stage and ask, “Tell me what is this?” Repeat for all the cards.
- Use the information cards and share what happens at each stage.
A child who can read and write and draw the stages and describe then using the information cards as a guide.
Note: This activity enhances the child’s language; fine motor skills, numeracy, science and discovery of the world. The child is aware of how things work in nature.