Size : 9 x 9 inche s
Multiplication Board with red beads , tiles and a wooden box with lid to store the beads.
- Show the child the material and have him bring it to the table.
- Show the child the numbers along the top of the board. Tell the child, “These numbers tell us how many times to take a number.”
- Show the child how to slide the card (4) into the slot on the side of the board.
- Tell the child, “This tells us we will be doing the table of 4.”
- Place the little red disc above the 1 at the top of the board.
- Say, “This tells us we need to take 4 one times.
- Using the red beads, place 4 one times in a vertical line.
- Have the child count how many beads there are on the board.
- Tell the child, “4 x 1 is 4” Have the child write the answer on the paper next to the equation.
- Move the disc over above the 2.
- Tell the child, “We now need 4 two times. But we already have 4 one times.”
- Have the child place the red beads in a vertical line next to the first four.
- Have the child count the total number of beads on the board.
- Say, “4 x 2 is 8”.
- Repeat in this manner. When the child reaches 4 x 4, have him say the equation with you.
- If the child is making the table with ease, when he reaches 4 x 8 show him that 4 x 7 was 28. Count from 28 up four more. Repeat in this way until he has finished the board.
- Have the child read all of the equations and answers written on the piece of paper.
- The child can check his work on Multiplication Chart 1.
5 1/2 - 6 years